The Magic Of Running

Maddie - Westminster, Colorado
Themes: courage, sports, work

I believe in running.

Running fast or running far, it doesn’t matter as long as you’re going. Whether it’s on a track or down a dirt path littered with leaves it doesn’t matter, the effect is always the same. It enables a person to completely escape from reality. From every stress, every thought, every worry. It requires your full concentration and no thought all at the same time. Running gives a person valuable alone time to think, and dream, and aspire, even if they are running with friends. It creates the greatest sense of pride within a person after a grueling, sweaty, sprinting-up-every-hill, so-sore-you-can-barely-walk-the-next-day run. That sweat is a self-respecting, humbling product of every ounce of energy you never thought you had. Every last drop. And in the end it is not important who won the race, even though it is sometimes nice to be number one. Running is not about being THE best, but more about being YOUR best.

I believe in running as the ultimate civil war.

Your body and mind at absolute breaking point with one another. Your body continually begs you to stop. But your brain fights and pushes you onward and then onward further to your absolute collapse. Even inside your mind there is a conflict going on. On one side, you begin to doubt yourself, wondering if you can even take one more step or why you ever began this suicidal passion. On the other, you’re yelling at yourself for ever doubting, ever thinking that you couldn’t do it. Like a drill sergeant or an over zealous fan, you motivate yourself into continuing.

Regardless of the pain, of body or brain, I believe in running.

Running is about feeling that pain, acknowledging it, fighting through it, and then getting over it. That gut-wrenching cramp lodged between your ribs will be there for the next three miles. Whether you decide to fight that simple reminder to your mortality is up to you. But when it comes to the end of that run, be it a race or a jog, you will have been the one to congratulate yourself for conquering your rightful claim on immortality or not. It’s that simple.

I believe in running. It doesn’t matter how, when or to where, just as long as you’re going.