Understanding the Mask

Wendy - Newfane, New York

Having a motorcycle accident over 25 years ago my husband Allen,continues to live in pain almost on a daily basis. His loss of his right arm and lower left leg never lets him forget that day physically, but mentally he is the strongest man I have ever known. Al never complains about his pain nor does he give up on life. If you ever had a conversation with him you would learn that life is always a challenge and how you handle those challenges is how people react to you. Sometimes people with disabitlities are looked at so differently, but I know it is not understanding or just ignorance. What I believe is that there are so many heroes walking around with a different costume on then ours, but under that lies the biggest hearts and strongest souls I have ever had the pleasure of being around. Not even knowing it Allen has taught me we are all equal, we all share good and bad days, with or without our costumes on.