The Small and Miraculous

Cassandra - North Granville, New York

The Small and Miraculous:

Picture this: it’s 2:30, the school day is almost over, you’re dog-tired, and you’d give anything to not have to go to that club meeting after school. Then, an announcement comes over the loudspeaker: “All after school activities are cancelled, I repeat, all after school activities are cancelled.” As relief washes over you, you think “wow; someone must be looking out for me”. I believe in miracles.

Now, I’m not talking monumental, seemingly impossible events that edify entire societies. I’m talking about the little events throughout the course of my day that let me know that God is working little miracles in my life. Things such as a baby’s laugh, the love in my boyfriend’s eyes, or one last cookie in a jar you thought was empty to dull that insatiable sweet tooth help to make the days, good and bad, easier to cope with and make life worth living.

In the past, as I think many people do, I have been guilty of focusing on the negatives, living storm cloud to storm cloud without stopping to enjoy the glimpses of sunshine in between. I think that we all get so caught up in our daily tragedies that we don’t take the time to appreciate the positives and count our blessings.

This is not to say that life is without challenge. I have had two deaths in my family in the past year, and I know as well as anyone that there are events in our lives that make us stop and ask “why?” However, I believe that everything happens for a reason, and these events are (or should be) the things that help us to appreciate the little miracles in our lives. When my grandfather died last fall, at first, it felt like my life had been picked up and shaken, the victim of an emotional earthquake. My grandparents, and even some of my great-grandparents, had always been around, ever since I was born, and I had grown to feel as though they were a permanent fixture in my life. The death of one of these fixtures left my equilibrium damaged. However, stemming from this grief and confusion was a new found appreciation for the impermanence of life as well as the loved ones that are still here with me.

So, the next time you’re running late and there’s no line at that cash register, take a moment to be thankful for this little miracle. They may be common some days, or few and far between the next. But, whenever they come, they should be appreciated.