I believe in making the best out of things

Alberto - Baldwin park, California

Making the best out of things helps me get through stressful situations with a smile on my face, like the first time I deployed to the Middle East a.k.a “The Sandbox”. Although it was not my first deployment, I still had the feeling of anticipation I always get when going somewhere new. I did not really know what to expect out in the desert, except that I would be out there for four to six months.

If anything, it turned out to be a great opportunity to get into tip top shape. As soon as I got there I found out where the gym was located, and what its operational hours were. I pretty much started working out right away in order to keep my fitness level up to military standards. That is not the only reason I worked out though, it is also a great way to relieve stress. Believe me, when you are working twelve hour shifts for six days straight for basically half a year, and the only view you have is pretty much sand in every direction, a good stress reliever always comes in handy. Whether it was by sweating up a storm while running for five miles plus, or by lifting weights like a mad man, as if they were made of Styrofoam, lifting weights helped me relieve stress. Going to the gym pretty much helped me throughout the whole deployment. Eating healthy was a vital part of my routine as well. After all, what good would it have done me to have an exhausting workout routine if I just threw it all away by eating junk food. Although I love fried food, I gave it up in order to make my time worthwhile at the gym

Sure, I could have said “This sucks. I want to go home. It’s hot”….etc. Had I let it get the best of me, it might have been the worst experience ever. Some still might say that they would never go back because they hated it. I just took it as a new experience that I could have some fun with and learn some new things about myself at the same time, like the fact that I did not pass out while running until I couldn’t feel my legs. Being away from civilization so to speak for half a year made things awkward when I came home, but at the same time it also gave me a new sense of appreciation for life and the way I choose to make the best out of things.