I Believe In Taking It Easy.

David - 93455, California

I believe in taking it easy.

I grew up in an overcrowded family of eleven in a four bedroom house. Each room was crammed with three people. You could imagine the commotion, the craziness, and the over-crowdedness in my undersized house. It doesn’t surprise me that I have come to this belief.

I use to believe in perfectionism. I believed that anything less than perfection was unacceptable. I probably believed it more than some Christians believe in Jesus Christ. And it doesn’t really surprise me that I’m an easy going person, not lazy but a little careless.

I remember trying to be perfect at things such as attendance, sports, cleaning my room, house chores, or maybe just very anal retentive. I remember dusting every piece of dust that landed in my room, or not being able to concentrate on my homework because my bed wasn’t made. But really, who am I trying to impress. I don’t care.

I’d tried to be a perfectionist once, but everything changed when I got my first roommate. I remember devoting every minute of my free time to cleaning the room spotless. And with a careless roommate, who doesn’t believe in trash cans and hampers, it makes it very hard to keep the room clean.

Everything changed when I stumbled across an article I remember reading somewhere. “… that a man must be a little careless of his life even in order to keep it.” by G. K. Chesterton

I learn from my clueless roommate, that we are not perfect and that we all make mistakes. I rediscover myself in a different light, by giving myself some slack on things that I know doesn’t really matter. It was only through such metamorphosis that now I can concentrate doing my homework in the middle of a mall or crowded noisy areas. I can safely say to a certain degree that a little carelessness makes life a whole lot easier.

But now, no matter how stressed or worried I am feeling, taking it easy always helps me stress less about on the things that doesn’t really matter so that I can use my already short time on earth to concentrate on the people I love.