going farther

onakea - hopkinsville, Kentucky

I have always encouraged my children to do their very best and to go farther than is required. Well everytime I encouraged them I would feel a pit in my throat because I knew that I could have gone farther. I prayed and cried trying to decide what to do. Eventually, the answer came to me “go farther” and I did. I returned to high school after 15 years and recieved my diploma. In my mind I could hear myself saying “go farther.” But I had a family to raise on my own so I settled for a ged. The very same day my 12 year old daughter looked at me and said “what your not going any farther.” I looked at her and said “yes, I’m going to college.” I enrolled in college but I was afraid;how would I care for my childrens financial needs if I’m a student. I went farther and starting saving cans, growing vegatables, biking to the bank, and using cloth diapers to save money and so do my children. I believe that one day I will be capable of providing my childrens needs. I also believe if it wasn’t for my children I wouldn’t be the person that I am today.