You Are Never Too Old

Judy - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Here I am attending classes at our local community college. One year ago if someone had told me I would be here, I would not have believe them.

After working for the same manufactoring company for thirty-one years, they closed it’s doors. I, along with about five-hundered others, no longer had a job. What was I going to do. I had no special training and I was sixty years old. What employer wants to go to the time and expense to train someone this close to retirement?

Fortunately, there is a wonderful program for misplaced workers that offers training in the field of their choice. The program pays for the training and pays unemployment for two years for a full-time student. I believe that anyone should take advantage of this program if offered.

With so many companies laying off or closing and moving out of the country it will get harder for unskilled workers to find jobs. The younger workers should give this a lot of thought.

When I look around campus, I see a lot of people that I had worked with. Most of the ones I see are the more mature ones like myself. I guess they believe like I do, that you are never to old to go back to school.