I Believe That Patience Can Be Taught

Ellis - Santa Monica, California

I believe in yarn. Balls of yarn, different colors, textures, widths, softness, and materials. When I’m bored it’s not a book that I pick up, it’s not the TV I turn on, and it’s not a place that I go to. It’s crocheting that hooks me, knitting that occupies my boredom, turning it into joy.

When I was nine years old my mom’s friend gave me a crochet hook and a ball of yarn, then she taught me how to crochet. I can remember struggling at first, but after a few days of practice I began to get the hang of things. Eventually, day by day, I got better; I was able to whip through making potholders and scarves like the rest of them. It’s almost another nine years later and I can still remember how to crochet. It’s one of those hobbies that have stuck with me, something I enjoy greatly. When ever I get the chance I’m crocheting or knitting (which I picked shortly after).

I believe in yarn. I believe in crocheting. I believe in knitting. I believe in chain stitches, single crochets, and double crochets. I believe in casting off, pearling or not pearling. I believe in yarn as a material thing and crocheting and knitting as entertainment. The time and effort put into each hat, scarf, and blanket made teaches patience, that not all things come easily. In today’s society people can’t even wait in line to get a cup of coffee, let alone spend hours — stitch after stitch — until hundreds of stitches makeup a scarf. It’s no wonder that in a society based on quick fixes and speedy checkouts that I can come to appreciate the little things, the patience I have learned, that it’s okay to wait an extra few minutes in line while someone counts out their change to checkout.

Using yarn to make things that I have given to people has helped me understand the time it takes to make something from my own two hands. It has taught me that sometimes a hand made gift, like the knit maroon beanie that I made in my friend’s favorite color, is better than a Gap gift card someone could have bought at the store. I now know that a simple hobby involving yarn can have a function, besides an escape from boredom, it can show someone you care, that you took the time out of a busy day to pull out some yarn and make something unique – just for them. No matter what the pattern, design, or yarn used, the thing made was unique, unlike any other, and could never be duplicated.

Many believe that crocheting and knitting are for old ladies that sit in rocking chairs all day, but I believe yarn, crocheting, and knitting are for anyone and everyone. Everyone who dares to should pick up a hook and some needles, tackle two long sticks or a bright pink hook and see if they have the patience.