My tongue

Ammon - castile, New York

Its morphology is charming and the orthography is fun. No other language has such a rich vocabulary. I believe in the beauty of English.

The best part of our morphology is probably the genitive. There is a directness and assertiveness about it that the other families are unable to muster. The cat of Carl is thrust aside when Carl’s cat is around.

Even better than the rules for making words are the rules for spelling the words. I love that our phonological laziness has ripped sounds out of words, that it has produced the pile of allophones that are already their own phonemes. Knights and what, dogs and zebras, these are a few examples. I appreciate the versatility of -ough. Cough and although may have tough spellings to remember, but we ought to be able to plough through them if we try hard enough.

Perhaps my second favorite part of English is the vocabulary. “The croft rubs the crag” has an ugliness that is more pleasing than the sounds of “ the small farm abuts the giant rock.” Might and caught remind me of the middle years, and eldritch inspires thoughts of ancient times.

English may be ruined by platitudes and weak neologisms but I will always remain loyal to its beauty.