Watch out! Your smarts are showing.

Victor - San Diego, California

What? A 16 year old who uses apostrophes in his instant messaging? A teenager who is as eloquent on paper as in speech? Really? Wow.

That’s me. I may not be the valedictorian in the bunch, but I can make you believe I should be. I can engage an adult in conversation and trick them into forgetting the advice that will usually come with teenager-adult interaction. I have annoyed my peers with explanations about the way things work and who did what when. I can ask a question that is relevant and inapplicable at the same time. Call it what you will, but I’m smart.

Okay. At this point, I may sound like an obnoxious know-it-all, but honestly; I don’t care. The way you express yourself, and how far you will go to show how educated you are, I believe, has more to do with your person and how you are treated as a person, than manners or appearance ever will. It will make or break you in a situation and can get you what you want.

Now, I can assure you that I am not an egotistic or arrogant person. I make a point, in fact, not to be like this. It is one of my priorities however, to be eloquent, and grammatically correct, and dare I say it, exclude the use of acronyms.

It has become a defining factor of my personality. Some people hate it, some are fascinated, some don’t notice it, but it is there, and it always will be. I show my smarts and I am not shy in doing so. I invite you to join me.

“Relax, kid” you say, “You’re not in school.” What’s the point right? What good comes out of me taking precious time adding common-sense commas and apostrophes and writing out whole words? Where will a higher-level word or a small explanatory aside get me?

Truth is, I have no idea. The only thing I am sure about is that showing my smarts demands a certain level of respect from people who otherwise wouldn’t grant it. It is with this respect, that I earn trust, and knowledge, and of course, very useful “hook-ups.” So I say, show your smarts.

My smarts will someday get me into college, and into Time magazine, and hopefully allow me to read this essay to you. They will make me an interesting person, someone important somehow, and will probably eventually be the end of me. But until then, I say show your smarts.

Show them like you’ve never shown them before. Be conspicuous and obnoxious with them. Throw them around like you’ll never have them again. Toss any inhibitions away and let the world know that you are smart and that you like it. Let them know that your smarts are showing and that you are proud of them. Show your smarts.