The American Dream

Jared - Middlevile, Michigan

What is the American dream? Why does it drive us? Every day we come face to face with it weather you know it or not; every time you go to school, go to work, or buy something new.

What is the American dream? A common representation of the American dream is a picture of a family in the 50’s. It shows a loving father embracing his children goodbye, and giving his wife a final kiss before he picks up his briefcase, and heads out to work. What does this represent? To start with, effort. Effort is shown by him going to work, to make money, and support his family. This is also showing ownership. He has a good job, a nice house, and a good car. He has these things because he put effort into his job so he can live the best he can; And I think that is the heart of the American dream. Work hard to give you, and your family the best you can give.

What about now-a-days? I think that now-a-days is identical to our past thoughts of the American dream. There is one difference though I believe that we try much harder to “keep up with the Jones” more than we did in the past. Making now-a-days more competitive than before.

I don’t think that the American dream will ever change. It might adjust itself slightly, but will never truly change. This I believe.