Importance of Acceptance

Danielle - wayland, Michigan
Themes: equality

In today’s society, people are considered different for not liking what’s “in” and agreeing with things that aren’t. Teens who care more about important topics, like their education or current events, are labeled nerds as opposed to those who are more concerned with fashion or gossip. People should be accepted for who they are, as people come in a wide variety. One shouldn’t be worried about how others will label and judge them. As a matter of fact, individualism should be strived for and uniqueness should be encouraged. Now this doesn’t mean that every human being needs to be different from one another, it’s just that people should be less concerned about what others think. People should be more focused on the plan God has for them. In the Bible, there is a quote by Jesus that briefly talks about prejudice. “Do not judge, or you too will be judged for in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Matthew 7:1-2. This explains that if you judge others, others will just turn around and judge you the same.

There is one specific group of people that I notice gets judged more frequently than others, and they are the people with disabilities. With words like retarded (being used in the wrong context) becoming more popular within the English language, it makes me wonder if anyone cares about disabled people. I understand that there are people who care and want to help them, but it seems like derogatory speech and actions are becoming more common with people all the time. Recently, I was lucky to have the opportunity to volunteer at a therapeutic horseback riding center. I met many wonderful disabled kids who still had a positive view of life. They were an inspiration to me. I was shown why it’s important not to judge people based on a disability they may have. The kids that I met during that summer also gave me the motivation to continue my volunteer work. Every time I volunteer and meet new disabled kids, I learn more about why it’s important to accept people for who they are.