Ashley - 0956+5, Massachusetts Guadeloupe
Entered on May 30, 2008
Age Group: 65+
  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

I remember the exact day it happened. It had started out like any other day. I woke up, ate breakfast, got dressed, brushed my teeth, got my stuff together, and headed off to school. I went from class to class, then headed home. As I walked from my bus-stop, I saw a Jeep pull-up and stop next to me. I looked inside and realized that it was my aunt. She rolled down her window and told me that my cousin Tommy was in the hospital, and his conditions was worsening. I knew that he had gone to the hospital the night before because he wasn’t feeling well. The doctor said it was just a cold and to treat it as the flu and go home. Now he was back in the hospital in the intensive Care Unit.

My mind was literally thinking about everything at once. What do you mean? Is he okay? Yesterday, the doctor sent him home, now there are tubes going in him to help him breathe? I quickly jumped in the car and we headed for the hospital.

As we arrived my Aunt’s phone rang. She told me that he had been transferred to a children’s hospital. The doctors didn’t know what was wrong with him. As days of testing turned into weeks, his condition deteriorated. He was transferred to four different hospitals, but none of the medical professionals could determine what was wrong with him. At the final hospital, the doctors said there was nothing they could do; unfortunately he was going to pass away, everyone was totally devastated.

The next morning, he was better. Not one hundred percent better, but a fever of 101° is better than 104°. He was still a little slow talking and reacting. The doctors’ said it was a miracle; he was going to live, However, they also told us that in six months he could he sick again, only worse. The symptoms would be that his nails and hair would fall out.

Six months later, his hair and nails began to fall out slowly. We hoped and prayed he wouldn’t get sick again, even though the doctors said that he definitely wood , But it was another miracle: he never got sick again. I was No longer passing French class a miracle to me; rather, it was and is something like saving a life. My experience with my cousin has taught me a valuable and unforgettable lesson: Things happen out of nowhere, so treasure the moments and be grateful for what you have because you won’t miss it until you’re on the verge of losing it or until it’s gone. This I believe.