Stairway Theory

Paul - Jaccobus, Pennsylvania

Imagine that you’re inside an Mc Escher drawing full of stairs, doorways, ladders, windows, bridges and pathways, all that lead you nowhere and somewhere at the same time. You feel like you’re making progress, but you’re not. You pass someone going in the opposite direction with a sly but quizzical look on their face, while you wonder, ‘what he/she did or if that’s just how he/she normally looks.’ You see a window facing one direction and a flag pole coming out of the same wall, but perpendicular to the window! While you read this you wonder, “Why does this matter?” All of this ties into my belief that life is a great big random stairway in a four dimensional world.

I say life’s a random stairway because it has twists and turns, ups and downs, lefts and rights, insides and outs, forwards and backwards and over’s and under’s. You never know who you will meet and when. Like in the painting, you could be going in one direction and turn around without knowing it. I believe that whoever or whatever created the world made it random for a reason. Anything random happens for a reason and everything that happens for a reason is random. Randomness is reason and reason’s random.

Getting away from the randomness of life, I say life’s a stairway in general because it has its ups and then the random person you find that pushes you over backward down the steps. This person’s probably the antagonist in your life. Set your goals above them and strive to get past them. The point of the world is to climb to the top before your time is up, but take time to meet people on the way. In life you’re either going up or down, there is no stand-still. Life will stop moving when time stops ticking. You also can’t go up forever; eventually you will fall, unless you are Bill Gates.

Based on my previous ideas, I’ve had comments about my mental state and my life’s intents, many negative, but a few positive. Through all I’ve stated I don’t believe in absolute chaos, just the day to day chaotic life I’m forced to live. A lot of people with a strong vocabulary, like my language arts teacher, would probably tell me, “Paul, the way you think makes you sound like an anarchist!” I don’t really even know what that means. According to the dictionary it means, “One who rebels against any authority, established order, or ruling power.” I could probably see myself being this, but on a more mental than physical level. I would not go around burning down political buildings; instead I would write letters complaining to government officials about how they run the country.

In final, the world is just big, random, and extremely confusing. Sometimes you know where you’re going, and sometimes you’re just completely lost. You meet people you like and people you don’t. You meet people who like you and those that hate you. The things that you see, hear, taste, smell and touch may or may not make sense, but they do (somehow). Now see if you can find your way out of the drawing, and be quick.