Everyone Is Equal

Callie - Robinson, Texas
Themes: equality

Why should it matter what the color of a person’s skin is? I don’t think it should. This is one of the questions I ask myself everyday. Treating people right is important to me. I try to get to know a person before I make any decisions about them. Some people just look at a person, see the color of their skin, and if they don’t “approve” of it, they turn their noses up at them. I think that’s wrong. Every one should be given a chance.

I believe that everyone is equal despite the color of their skin. Just because someone is a different color doesn’t mean they should be treated any different. Everyone is different in their own way, and should be accepted for it. The color of some ones skin is only part of their appearance, and what they look like shouldn’t matter. What really matters is who they are on the inside. Everyone deserves some kind of respect, and a chance to show people who they are. I have a black cousin, and when I see people treat him harshly it makes me feel very sorry for him. I can’t imagine how it feels to have people treat him wrong for who they think he is, when they should really be focusing on his kind personality.

I know everyone has different beliefs, but some people just believe what other people say about a race, then they start to share the same feelings instead of finding out for themselves. The thing is, what people hear about one person, they sometimes assume the same about the rest of that persons race. I guess prejudging may be a part of it, but racism is a huge problem. Yes, it has gotten better over the years, but we still have days when things go wrong. I think the world just needs to realize what really matters. Give everyone a chance to show their true selves. There have been many people in our history who have become famous for their kind and caring hearts. They were not all white. Nor were they all black, Chinese, or Mexican. If you really think about it we are all equal. We only have different colored skin. I believe everyone should be treated equally, no matter what color of skin.