Miracles Do Happen

Kimberly - Muskegon, Michigan
Themes: setbacks

Miracles Do Happen

My brother had been a pretty hard drinker ever since he turned twenty-one years old, but not until two months ago did I realize that this would have such a major impact on me.

On March 12, 2008, I woke up to my cell phone ringing with a message that I had a new voicemail. As I listened to the message, I knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough there was. My brother had drunk way too much, got behind the wheel of his car, and crashed. It took a few minutes for all of this to register in my head, but once it did, I began to think that I would never see him again. Upon my arrival to the emergency entrance, I saw two policemen. Walking over to them, I anticipated the answer that I would get.

“Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me anything about the car accident that Dan was in earlier this evening,” I asked.

“Yes, his alcohol level was higher than the state law and he is in pretty bad shape,” one of the officers replied.

After he answered me, I ran inside to the emergency area looking for a doctor. I looked around and found some of my brother’s friends in the waiting room. All of them looked as if they had just seen a ghost, and at that moment I braced myself for the worst possible news. “Hey, is he going to be okay?” I asked. His friend Josh replied “They will not tell us any answers because we are not family.”

Naturally, after hearing this I found the nearest doctor in sight and approach him with my questions.

“Doctor, do you have any information regarding a car accident that occurred early this evening with Dan,” I asked him.

“Are you family?” he replied.

“Yes, I’m his sister,” I said.

“He is extremely lucky to not be dead and with only has a broken leg.”

Hearing this, I went back to where family and friends were sitting and waited until I could see my brother. Having this experience in my life helped me realize that there must really be a God and that miracles can happen.