I Believe in Equality and eliminating discrimination

Haley - Duluth, Minnesota
Themes: equality

I Believe in Equality and

eliminating discrimination

I believe in equality. I think that everybody should be treated equally and of the same quality. Even though we don’t all think the same, look the same, or talk the same we shouldn’t be discriminated against because of those qualities. Being different is good. If we didn’t have difference, the world would be a pretty boring place. Everybody should still be treated equally and be given a chance. Some people think that people should be treated differently because of our beliefs, colors, ethnicity, gender and other things. I think that that is wrong. Just because somebody thinks or looks different than you, you should just look beyond it and find the good in them. Americans have the right of freedom of speech and belief. Sometimes Americans take this for granted. Some countries don’t have the right of freedom to make their own decisions and are not treated equally at all. We are all the same; we are all living, breathing human beings.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” I think that everybody should live by this. People shouldn’t be judged by their color but by the way they act, their character and personality. Personally, I have not experienced any discrimination first hand because of my color, beliefs, or thoughts. All that discrimination does is cause problems for everyone. The only way that people are different from each other is in their physical features, beliefs, and mind sets. One person is not created better than somebody else and we should be treated as such. We all have the same rights, and nobody will ever be “better” than anybody else. There are many types of discrimination such as age, gender, disability, origin, religious, etc. The definition of discrimination is to treat one particular group of people less favorably than others because of their race, color, nationality, or ethnic/national origin. I believe that we should all be treated the same as everyone else because nobody in the human race has any more rights or freedom than anybody else. This I believe.