Hard Work Wins Over Talent

Kathryn - Lee`s Summit, Missouri
Themes: work

I believe in many things, but one thing that I believe strongly in is that hard work does pay off. If you want to be good at something you must practice very hard. If you don’t love that thing, then you won’t have any fun doing it. Practice makes perfect.

I have played soccer for many years; to be exact, eight years. After these eight years I have come to love the sport. Although I did love the sport before, there were definitely times I would have liked to give up and quit. One time I played for the Pink Panthers, a competitive soccer team. While I was playing for them I was very shy. Unfortunately everyone had their friends which left me with none. So I never talked which made it very hard to have fun. Most of the players were better than me then and this lowered my confidence to the point where I never wanted to go to games or practices. Even though it killed me to go to the games and practices, I went and never gave up. Now I am a much better soccer player than I ever imagined. I practice five times a week, have at least four games over the weekend, run track, and manage to get all A’s in school. I never gave up, but loving the sport also helped.

I know people who play competition soccer but don’t want to be there. There was a girl who played on my team who recently quit. She quit merely because she wasn’t having fun; she was burnt out. She had the talent but she didn’t work hard. Hard work can win over talent when the talent does not work hard. Soon you reach an age when you play competitive sports where the game isn’t just about having fun; it’s about winning (which right now is very important to me).

I am fortunate that God has granted me with speed, grace, and athleticism. My parents knew soccer was my sport when I was so much faster than all the kids I played against. By the age of three I was very capable of just walking, but I always chose to run. My dad always jokes, “She never walked….she ran”. Even though I had acquired these skills naturally, I still didn’t know the concept of soccer. So I had to practice and develop my surroundings, to know where every player on the field was. I had to know where I was supposed to be on the field. By now, I know the soccer field like the back of my hand.

I do believe that in order to be good at something you must practice hard. When you want to quit, make sure it is what you want. Think about it. Hard work pays off. It worked for me.