Giving up hope

Angelo-Christopher - milford, Massachusetts
Themes: question

Giving up Hope

I believe in God, and in religion, I believe in love, and family and most of all I believe in believing. I don’t think there’s anything in this world that can’t be accomplished by faith, and belief. I was raised in a very religious home and I was always taught to have faith, and believe in what I wanted. Like most Catholics, I strongly believe in God and I believe in accomplishing things by prayer and patience. Things always happen when they’re supposed to, so there’s no benefit in trying to rush them.

However, unlike me, most people today don’t really believe in anything, and it’s because of that lack of faith that the world is the way it is. I don’t want to preach to people, and tell them to be a catholic and believe in God and all that. But people should believe in something, it is faith, which gives people something to look forward to, and without it, we’re simply “zombies” living meaningless lives. People are losing their faith and hope and the world is simply becoming a big “empty” place, with a bunch of “empty” bodies wondering around waiting for the day when their misery will finally be over.

It feels like everyone is giving up hope on their fellow men and I feel like I’m about to give up hope as well. A couple days ago as I was reading the news, I came across two stories that made me want to give up hope even more. One was about a father who kidnapped his own daughter, and locked her up in a basement for twenty-four years, during which he mentally and physically tortured her and fathered her seven children. The other one was about a mother who killed nine of her babies and buried them in flower pots around her parent’s house.

Every time I see or hear about things like these, I just feel like giving up hope. I just don’t understand what would cause people to do such horrible things to each other. I know it sounds really corny, but why can’t we all just get along?! I don’t know what we could do, but I do know if we don’t all come together and do something really quick, it’s going to get to a point where there will be nothing but wars and fights. This might sound stupid to a lot of people but unfortunately, this is what I believe.