You are your own person

Erika - chandler, Arizona

You are your own person

I believe being your own person and making the right choices will take you farther in life than following other people. This belief took a while for me to realize that it was important.

I always did well in class. School came easy and I was labeled as the nerd or the smart kid that everyone copied off of As a child, I adored the attention; however, as I aged I became agitated when labeled as the smart girl. Up until the 7th grade, I continuously earned all A’s and B’s and had a great group of friends. Even though I had wonderfully friendships, I wanted to have what a deemed the cool friends. I remember this group of girls who were popular, pretty, and got all the attention from the boys at school. Even though their grades were not to par with mine, I still desired their friendship. At the time, I did not care about how smart they were, I just wanted to feel accepted. So I made the decision to become one of them.

At first started to change my look. I started to wear more revealing clothes, make-up, and do my hair just like them. Then I decided to intentionally lower my grades to match these girls and grab their attention. I did not do my homework, lied to my teachers, and acted out in class. I continued to do these actions in order for them to talk to me. This worked for a while and they were started to talk to me. They even invited me to hang out with them, on occasions, after school. I thought it was the best thing that could happen to me until my parents received a phone call. My 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Ficker, phoned my parents to inform them of my behavior. She told them what I was doing in class, how I was acting, how my attitude and clothing choices changed, and the failing grade I was receiving in her class.

My parents were furious. They wanted to know why I was acting out, and for what reason. I was scared and did not know what they were going to do. After a long night of yelling and anger, my father ended with six little words that changed my life up until this point and shoved me to the right path; “Change your act or boot camp.” At first I thought my parents where bluffing, but when I looked in my parents face after they made that statement to me, I knew they where serious and my act had to change.

After that argument with my parents that night, I made my change. I got my grades back up, wore any clothes my mother told me to wear, and got rid of the bad people in my life. I realized that changing your life to be like everyone else just to be accepted is not the way to go.