I believe in stepping off the treadmill

Sally - Tipton, Indiana
Themes: question

Juggling too many activities creates too much stress for anyone. Let’s face it; we spend all our time doing pointless tasks. We watch television, play on the computer, and fill our schedule with activities to do. Why do we constantly need to be doing something?

About a week ago I was completely wrapped up in track and my school work. All I ever thought about was what I needed to get done with for tomorrow and what I can do to improve. I didn’t think about it, I just did it. It was like my brain was set on cruise control and I was just walking on a treadmill. I was doing simple, little tasks that meant nothing in the end. Thought was not involved.

We’ve all done this before. We get too focused on little tasks that in the end that probably mean nothing. Take a math problem for example. We spend all this time focusing, trying to figure out the answer using a concept the teachers just taught us. In the end we get a number. Yes, we can now build a sky scraper or know what the length of something is, but should we spend all our time focusing on these things?

I believe in thinking. I believe that you should take time off from what you are doing and just think. Think about what you believe in, and ask yourself questions. The most important question is why. I believe it is important to know who you are and why you are that way. I believe you should try to contradict yourself to a point where you fully understand what you believe.