Dare to Dream

Amber - Magnolia, Arkansas

I believe that dreams can come true. Everyone has a dream to become a famous actress or make lots of money on the job; but my only dream was to find someone who would love and cherish me for who I was so that we would live happily ever after.

Growing up in a small town, everyone knows everybody. I was never the skinny kid in school, so most of the time I thought people were only my friends because they felt sorry for me. As a small child, I was often teased because I had a weight problem. I would play on the playground with my friends every day, doing my best to ignore the pesky boys who called me names. I had very low self-esteem and would come home after school many days crying to my mother.

As I grew older, I became more self-conscious of my weight. I would not go out with my friends, and I would go to the band hall after lunch to be away from all the humiliating people in the cafeteria. The summer before seventh grade, I decided to do something about my weight. I went on the a diet! It was the best thing that ever happened to me! Throughout the school year, I continued to lose weight. I lost forty-five pounds in approximately one year. Even though I lost a lot of weight, I was still very cautious about my body image. I always told myself that no one was every going to like me or ever want to spend his life with me. If any guy looked at me, I always assumed there was for a bad reason not a good reason for his attentions.

Until my tenth grade year, I always thought no one even knew I existed except for my friends I hung out with every day. One day a guy I had only seen in between classes wanted to talk to me! I was so excited I had no idea what to say. The emotions were just overwhelming that someone would want to be with me and talk with me. As I got to know this boy, we began to date and get to know each other better. I soon found myself wanting to spend all my time with him. He was so loving and funny. He never tried to make me something I was not. As of today, I am a junior in high school, and my boyfriend and I are still dating. We plan to graduate from high school, attend college together, and in a few years get married.

Dreams do come true! Everyone who teased me told me no one would ever like me, but I have found the man of my dreams who cherishes me for who I am and wants to spend the rest of his life with me. Many people can achieve their dreams if they just overcome their barriers.