“Every Day heroes”

Alex - Madawaska, Maine
Themes: war

Currently my brother-in-law is serving in Iraq. It is very terrifying knowing of all the violence that is going on over there. There is a chance that he might not come back and it just upsets me. He is a role model to me and he is one of the people I look up to. He is a strong individual, who loves his wife and his sisters and will do anything to protect them, but ultimately he is a United States Marine, and he fights for our freedom.

When I think of the word “Marine” I think of freedom, and that is why they are in Iraq to fight for our freedom, and they deserve a “thank you” by every one in the United States. These people are heroes. They might not look like the heroes that you see on cartoons who stop evil villains, but to me they are someone I look up to, because one day I would like to become a marine and help end the violence going on in the world. And I’d like to become a hero to someone else.

Our men and women in the military are my heroes. If it weren’t for them the world would not be the same we would not enjoy the freedoms we have today we would not be free, we would have no freedom of speech. But to some people a hero may not be someone that helps people or is a good person, they may be someone who does wrong and who is not a good person, but in their eyes they are a hero to them.

Heroes are someone who you can rely on in times of need. Although my parents are my heroes for bringing me into this world and for raising me well, my brother in-law is one of the biggest heroes in my life and he is someone that has led me into wanting to become a Marine because I want to be a hero to someone else like he has been to me.