Mundane

Nicolas - Cincinnati, Ohio

I have no story. I believe that there is nothing to be learned. This premise is counterintuitive and contrary to our basic human tendency to seek knowledge. But hear me out. The accumulation of all human learning has gotten us here. But where exactly is here? The truth is because human lives are of a finite duration, the lessons of past generations are inevitably lost to future generations. Thus, the fate of humanity is ultimately left to its basic inherent design – and the endless repetition of the behaviors (individual and societal) caused by that design. So here we are; working, driving, eating, sleeping, loving, hating, learning, forgetting, breathing. Driven by deep subconscious instincts. Directed by culture, thought, and emotion. Pompous and proud in our thin layer of atmosphere covering a tiny planet, in a tiny solar system, in a tiny galaxy. Only after we realize our true nature, and our true place in the universe, can we begin to understand freedom. Freedom from the bondage of our opinions, our thoughts, our desires, and everything we have ever learned. Free to experience our lives, rather than react. Free to understand that every mundane breath has infinite possibilities.