Divided we Fail

Afton - Mt Sterling, Kentucky

Discrimination is inevitable in our lives, but that is not to say it is fair. It surrounds us every day like a blanket whose intention is to smother us. Some succumb while others find their way out. Either way, this blanket is one of separation. We cannot stand fully united until we completely breakdown the barriers that are socially separating us.

The statement, “One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all” is a very false statement to be so boldly plastered all over our very own pledge of allegiance. This quote infers that everyone is equal and our country is unable to be divided. However, this is not true. Our country is still divided, and equal rights definitely have not reached their peak.

I think that we should try to reach out to our neighbors, co-workers, and fellow Americans. We should not judge them by the color of their skin or their sexuality. Our next president could quite possibly be an African American, but with all of the discrimination that still lies in the United States, I don’t know how widely accepted the presidency would be. This should not be the case.

Why waste all of our time debating whether or not homosexuals have a right to be married? You don’t have to agree with it, but isn’t this supposed to be the land of the free? Their lives will not affect yours. Let them have the opportunity to live happily married, just as you have.

It starts with one. If one person can overcome the social barriers that break us down, that number can quickly grow. If they have children, the children will then learn at an early age that we are all equal. Children are extremely influenced, and that is why this epidemic of inequality has been going on for generations.

I think it’s time to stand up for ourselves, each other, and our country. Do what is best, what is right. Try to understand and listen. Don’t be a part of this division that is so prominent in the U.S. today. Unite.

This I believe.