Cherish Your Loved Ones

Jamie - Madawaska, Maine

How often would you choose to hang out with your family instead of friends? Many people would say they would rather be with their family but I think most people would vote to be with friends. I believe that family could be easily taken away, and in this essay, it was my grandfather. As a kid, I would go to my grand parents house where he would be waiting for me and I would run to the swing set and try to get my grandfather’s attention. I would compete with my brother and sisters to see who my grandfather liked more, and when we were done swinging, we would run inside to see a gargantuan supper waiting for us on the table, prepared and cooked by my grandmother. As a kid, I did not realize that the best years of my life were spent as a kid spending time in the summer with my grandfather. The tragedy unfolded in 1997. My beloved grandfather had passed away, and my grandmother was left alone. We spent a long time comforting my grandmother and making her feel loved, just as my grandfather would have done.

When I reflect back on my grandfather’s life, I am sure that it was not a disappointing time to leave. If anything, he would have chosen to leave at this time because he knew we loved him so much, so he didn’t have to worry about leaving. I knew this, and that is why I think he was a brave man.

I believe my time with my grandfather was bright and full of joy. Their was never one time that I was with him and I was not having fun and smiling, and I feel that every time I think of him, he reflects joy into me, and that is how I remember him. He always wanted me to do the right things, even while nobody was looking, and I look up to him for that.

The time spent with my grandfather was the best time spent in my whole life, and I would never take that away for anything.