Values

Jesse - Madawaska, Maine

I have heard people say that technology is our friend. In my opinion it is just the opposite. Technology is more like the enemy. We don’t do things manually anymore. With the way the economy is at the moment and the prices of everything skyrocketing due to fuel prices. What I mean by this is pretty soon we won’t be able to go eat out, and to go buy everything we want at the store, or even pay all the bills. That’s when you start to realize that not being able to provide for yourself is a huge mistake. It is a huge mistake because we rely on money to get the things we need, and when you don’t have any money then you can’t buy the things you need to survive.

For example where I live, I live in a place with wide open terrain and an area where I can learn these lessons of self reliance. I know I will most definitely need to learn self reliance. When I say “self reliance” I mean returning to the ways that people had to live before there was electricity, oil, meat that could be bought at the store. So I mean returning to the primitive way of living. The way everything is changing for the worst, I will need to learn how to raise livestock such as chicken pork and beef. Raising these animals will become a necessity.

We won’t be able to go to the store anymore to pick up a ham or a steak the prices will be ridiculous. We will have to grow a huge garden of vegetables and freeze it or preserve it for the winter. Hunting will have to be taken more than a hobby and be taken like a need to hunt wild game deer bird’s rabbits. When you go fishing you will have to stock up because you will need it. Heating prices are ridiculous so people will have to resort to cutting down wood sawing it and chopping it to heat their houses. Oil will not be an option anymore.

I don’t want to sound all negative because it wont all be bad that fast its just the rate that everything is going at the moment there is a lot to worry about. It’s pretty sad that prices are this high but is doesn’t have to be this way. It’s the people that control the prices that are going outrageous. It’s all a matter of greed in my opinion but I could be wrong. The old values and how to survive on your own will keep you going people are going to have to start doing hard work.

I have already started to pick up some of these lessons of self reliance from my father and other close relatives, because they believe the same as me that eventually people will have to learn to live of the land and themselves.

My father himself believes that I will need to learn these to provide for my family in the future because he says the life I was brought up in will not be the same as the one I will raise my children in. I believe him the children of the next generation will have to make more sacrifices than we had to. I am absolutely positive about that.