To be

Tiffany - skokie, Illinois

When I was little, I used to believe that animals (both stuffed and real) communicated with each other when people weren’t around. I also believed that cartoons were real life captured on a special camera that make everything look like a cartoon. In fact, I was pretty convinced of it for some time. But I also believed in vampires, werewolves and god. Yes god, falls into that mythical being category for me. It wasn’t always like that. I grew up in a roman catholic home. We all attended private catholic schools. We went to mass as a family every Sunday and prayed like each moment was our last. My life stayed that way until 2nd grade. In 2nd grade I had a nun for a teacher, not just a normal teacher, a nun. Sister Mary was her name. She was a tiny spinster with a short fuse and breath that reeked of death. I knew it wasn’t going to end well.

Two weeks into class and I was expelled. I don’t remember what I did but I do recall Sister Mary telling my mother that I was “the spawn of Satan”. I didn’t even know what “spawn” meant at the time. That ornery old woman made one last decision after speaking with mother before the expulsion battle; she would tell the headmaster that I was a danger to the class and its teachings. She said I should be tested for Attention Deficit Disorder. I was and I passed with flying colors. So yea, but I didn’t just get labeled ADD, I got ADH(hyperactive)D. Because apparently, children shouldn’t be talkative and hyper by age 7. Well, after the testing I couldn’t attend catholic schools anymore, I would have to now attend a school that would have the proper classes for my disorder.

All the while I attended these school I took evaluations, spoke with numerous evaluators, teachers and counselors and although it was agreed that I didn’t not belong in those classes, there was nothing anyone could do. Chicago Board of Education problem. Attending these “special education” classes I learned a few things. I learned, no one cares what you say when you’re a kid, unless they are offended by it and once your in the system, your in the system for life.

Growing up I was teased a lot for various reasons. I would be bullied for being in the “retard classes” and for just being weird. Ill admit it, I was pretty weird. Not much changed through high school and I pretty much just skated on by. All I could do was wait until college when I would have my chance to change things and finally get a real education. 10 years of my life was wasted in “special education”. I think that when I become a teacher myself, that I will look at things different. Because I wont just be teaching from knowledge but experience as well.