A Family That Sticks Behind You and Your Disability

Sara - Coeur d` Alene, Idaho

I believe in a family that sticks behind you and your disability. While I was growing up family has been behind me. I suffer from a disorder that is Cerebral Palsy, which is caused by brain damage.

When I was two years old I wasn’t walking like most kids (that start at the age of two). So my parents and grandparents took me to a doctor. The doctor I saw sent and sponsored me to go to Shiners Hospital in Spokane, Washington. I would go there about once a year, unless I had to do some test, and when I had my surgery.

The doctors said that I would never walk and talk, they used as an example that “She’s going to a vegetable in a wheelchair”, and instead I proved them wrong. I am now walking and talking, it took a while, but I got it down. The reason that I am not suppose to walk is that I am missing a ball in my hip on the left side. Since I’m missing that ball, my hip pops in and out at random times.

As I went through elementary school I kept getting picked on, until fourth grade. While in fourth grade my classmates said that I had a disease instead of a disorder. My teacher had sent me to the office, while she talked to them and told them what I actually had. After that I had many friends and never really got picked on about my Cerebral Palsy after that.

When I was in middle and high school the few times I got picked on were extremely different, because most hadn’t seen someone with my disorder. Most were amazed at how smart I really am or surprised when I tripped and fell. I became used to falling in public and school, so used to it that I just laughed it off, well not all the time. The one’s that really hurt I had my friends to cheer me up.

While I was in high school I did have a few friends that my parents didn’t approve of, but they got to know them and actually liked them. In my senior year I went to prom with one of my best friends. The Monday after we went to prom we started going out for almost four months. I graduated from Coeur d’ Alene High School on June 8, 2007 and now attending college.

All the way through my life I had my family to help and encourage me. I am very thankful for the family I have, not only do they treat me like a regular person, but they don’t seem to care about my disability. I believe in a family that sticks behind you and your disability.