A Sunny Outlook

Wrendi - Louisa, Kentucky

Those who are continuously in a bad mood have often baffled me. Almost every day, I see people filled with angst and heartache. Those who lift their glasses and frown because they feel it is half-empty puzzle me.

Recently I was asked, “How do you do it? You’re always in a great mood!” I was speechless. I never really thought about my sunny outlook on life. Have I had bad experiences in the past? Absolutely! Have I been heartbroken, under attack, disappointed, and depressed? Of course! What separates me from the pessimists is that I do not let those events eat away at me.

My past has not been easy. I have endured painful breakups, loss of loved ones, and mockery from peers. I have cried myself to sleep, plotted revenge, and talked about others viciously behind their backs. I have allowed others to make me feel like I am inferior. I am a normal human being who has had her fair share of difficulties.

I have learned not to wear those horrible emotions on my face. Whenever anything gets me down, I try with all of my might to erase the anger from my memory and begin a fresh start. I put a smile on my face whether I want it there or not. A bad memory can easily be masked by remembering something pleasant. After practicing this for so long, a smile is usually a permanent fixture on my face.

I believe the world is a wonderful place– a place so warm and inviting that we do not have time to dwell on negative feelings. I believe we all need to begin our day with a happy thought, and show off our positive outlook to everyone we encounter. Smiles are contagious, so let’s spread them around!