Can’t Do It Alone

Brian - Peabody, Massachusetts
Themes: community, sports

I believe in being in being part of a team.

It was about eight years ago. The public school system just wasn’t cutting it for me anymore. While all my friends continued on, attending public high school, I chose to venture into the world of private schools.

I left all my friends behind and stepped outside my comfort zone. In the public schools, I had known my friends for so long that I almost forgot what it was like to make new friends. Feeling completely alone, I remember walking through the front doors on the first day of school and seeing everyone smiling and laughing, everyone but me. I went through the first two weeks of school alone and unhappy.

The only sense of confidence and certainty that I had when entering a new high school was with one thing, playing hockey. I walked into the gym one afternoon after school looking at the black and gold banners hanging from the rafters. I made my way over to the bleachers and sat on the outskirts of 40 guys, all trying out for the team, many of whom were already friendly with each other. A week later I was a member of the team and my feelings of being alone had faded away.

I didn’t always believe in being part of team. I had been a member of many teams before high school, but none had affected my life until I reached high school. Teams were something that I used be a part of because I had to, now its something I believe in.

Had it not been for my teammates in high school, my life would have turned out completely different. I may have left my high school, quite hockey, and possibly not even moved on to college. Having the sense of security that I got from hockey was the one thing that changed my outlook on my new high school.

Hockey didn’t just introduce me to my teammates. It allowed me to form a close relationship with the coach and Athletic Director, whom I am still close with today. It introduced me to some of my best friends that I have now, who do not play hockey. It allowed me to socialize with the cheerleaders, one of which turned into a special someone for me. And it even allowed my parents to become friendly with other parents at the games.

Being a part of that special team has given me so many important things in my life, things that I never want to let go of. And I may not have known it at the time, but every time I was a part of had shaped me into the person I am today.