Farming is Important

Jon - Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Themes: work

Farming is Important

I believe in farming. It’s not something everybody thinks of as a major thing but I think it is. How many people really appreciate farming? I mean some people don’t even know where there food comes from. People work hard to grow food that you eat. They spend there money to make you food. Some farmers only live on their milk check. They don’t get any sick days or vacation time. They work twenty four seven. They put more money into the crops than what they get out of them, because of soaring fuel cost all the prices go up. They have to pay high shipping fees for seeds and parts. The small farmers that have the old equipment have to put money into the equipment. That money is money they don’t have. Also they have older tractors and they run on gas, gas is so high it is putting them out of business. The big farmers keep getting grants from the government, but the little guys get smaller ones or none at all. The farmer is a very important person in our society, but people don’t give them enough credit for what they do. They grow food, raise beef and poultry and produce milk.

For example, my friend lives on a small family operated farm. His dad works forty hours a week and runs the farm. His dad and mom had to get up at 3:30 in the morning to milk the cows. In summer he had to get up at the time too. I remember the day he came over to have a water fight, but he was too tired. He didn’t want to run around or anything. He just wanted to sleep. They had to sell their cows because they were putting too much money into them, and not getting enough out. They sold them when the milk prices were down because they weren’t making money on their milk checks. Now he and his dad just run the land, which is called cash cropping. The milk prices have jumped back up now but were very bad in the past. After my friend sold their cows they ripped down the milk house and made their barn into a shop. His dad says that if he had enough money he would start milking again. This is why I believe farming is important.