work and play, a great combo

Alinda - La Mesa, California
Themes: pleasure, work

Work and Play, a Great Combo

I believe in working hard and playing hard.

I am a full time college student and a part time waitress. It is easy to get caught up in the stresses of life. When essays are due, midterms are around the corner, and I’m scheduled to work a double, life can start to feel a little chaotic. However, when I sit down and set up a time table for all that needs to be done there’s always a way to fit it all in and have a little fun in the meantime.

I have been working since I got my first job at weinerschnitzel when I was sixteen, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It taught me the value of a dollar, responsibility, how to balance work, school, and my friends. Most of my friends didn’t work in high school and I saw how they struggled after we graduated and they were forced into the real world. I’m glad I had already learned money management and work skills. Since I was a teenager I’ve always worked and gone to school. Now though, unlike in high school, school is definitely at the top of my priority list. I have to get good grades since my major requires me to go to graduate school. Sometimes I would love to ditch school and go to the beach instead, but I don’t. Prioritizing is the only way to collaborate work and play. I know I have to go to school, I have to go to work, but making sure that I get the important things done first leaves time for fun. I find the key to working hard and playing hard is time management. Knowing myself well enough to know how long I need to study or how tired I’ll be after work helps me plan out my time. If I didn’t make time to play I would be a workaholic stress case, and did I mention grumpy? I would also be more likely to give up. If I forced myself to work, work, work all I would want to do is quit, quit, quit. On the other hand, if I didn’t work I wouldn’t be satisfied either. I need to feel that sense of accomplishment that you can only get from a job well done.

Being disciplined, doing the job right, and having a good work ethic will pay off .When I know I’m working hard I feel good about myself and when I’m playing I’m having a great time! So why not make time for both? Making sure there is a balance between the work and play ensures that I do not get overwhelmed so easily or under stimulated so quickly.