Just a Little Bit of Elbow Grease

Sharyn - San Diego, California
Themes: work
  • Top 100 Essays USB Drive

I believe in working hard.

My entire life has always been about working hard to accomplish something. It has made me who I am today. I work hard to get good grades because I want to excel in my studies. I work hard on my friendships so I can keep those friends and have that support network. I work hard at wherever I am employed so I can make money and be trusted by my fellow employer and co-workers.

Ever since I immigrated to the United States from the Philippines, there has always been this hard working mentality in the back of my head. I often think I was born with it. I feel that I owe a lot to my grandparents for petitioning us to come here for a better life. If they were going to work hard for us, I believe it is only fair and out of respect to do the same.

No one forces me to have this mentality except for myself. I have learned to set goals for myself, and each time a goal is met, I am elated beyond words. While there are materialistic things out there that can surely make me happy, I don’t think they can beat having that feeling of accomplishment. Having all the money in the world could buy me a nice house and car, but what I think is important is my sense of worth. With just a little bit of elbow grease, I know I can make things happen.

Just this month I have experienced happiness when I was honored Suma Cum Laude. When I got that letter, I had flashbacks of all the hard work I had put into my education. Were those three extra hours spent studying late at night worth losing sleep for? Was choosing to stay home on a Friday night to finish a research paper better than attending that party? Absolutely yes! My four-year goal of working hard in school has just rewarded me with the greatest accomplishment of my life. I am able to leave college as a firm believer that hard work does pay off.