Do All That You Can Do

Megan - Knoxville, Tennessee

When I was younger, I started a long obsession with watching the Oprah show. I didn’t like when she interviewed the Hollywood actors and singers; what I really enjoyed was the lifetime-like stories when someone became selfless to help another out. I believe that there is a part of everyone that longs to put their whole being into someone or something to do their part to make the world better place. Oprah has gone above and beyond to do her part, yes she has a lot of money to do so, but it has been her choice to do good with the money she has earned to make a difference in the world.

I used the excuse that I didn’t have money like Oprah to change the world for a long time, until my dad told me that especially living in America, we don’t have an excuse. My dad and I talked and discussed that money didn’t have to be involved in making a change, which was good because I didn’t have any. I was watching Oprah several days later and a couple was on the show that had just given birth to premature triplets. They were ten weeks early, but they all survived! There was a doctor on the show as well and he kept re-iterating the fact that premature babies most of all need to be warm and loved.

Not long before watching this episode, I had had the opportunity to learn how to knit. Thinking about how I could make a difference a couple days later; I decided to learn how to make preemie baby hats. I knitted about fifty hats within a matter of weeks (I was excited), then I proceeded to start a club at Farragut High School to do the same. The club’s number one objective was to distribute as many hats as possible to Children’s Hospital. I believe that everyone should make an effort to help those in need; whatever that means for you; for Oprah it was giving away cars, for me it was knitting for the little ones, for you it could mean saying hello to that man on the exit ramp just looking for a friendly face. The possibilities of making change in the world are endless and most don’t have to cost a thing!