Value of Life beyond Life’s Values

Joseph - Coshocton, Ohio
Themes: gratitude

At a younger age I didn’t realize how special life was and I also didn’t realize how much I took advantage of it. You always see on the news how a teenager was killed in a car accident or was shot and bleed to death. You read about kids with diseases or disabilities. I never paid enough attention to it I just thought, “Yeah that’s sad but what can I possibly do about it. There is not much you can do about it besides cherish all you have.

It wasn’t till I was sixteen when I really started cherishing everything good, mainly my life. This is because Keely, one of my sister’s best friends was killed in a car accident one morning. I relate to this because about three weeks later I almost wrecked my car speeding around a turn. I feel that I took advantage of the situation. Actually I know I took advantage of the situation because about two weeks later I was speeding again and this time I wasn’t so lucky, I wrecked and totaled my car. For the next few days or even the next few weeks I just thought about what if I lost my life. I asked myself how my family and friends would deal with it. Then I thought about how my sister’s best friend was killed in a car accident and how badly it affected her family. I knew Keely’s younger brother pretty well and the effect it had on him was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I heard he was speechless for over a week. Keely’s mother and father went through so much pain, agony and stress. To me it was like the whole situation came out of a movie. Just thinking about it all gave me a terrible feeling. I definitely didn’t want to put my family or friends in any situation like that.

To this day I still take advantage of some things but I cherish all the good that God has brought or giving to me. I have never experienced a tough situation like many people in the world have. The toughest situation I have ever faced was my great aunts death when I was 12 years old. That does not compare to the struggles that millions of people go through every day. Through my experiences I have learned to cherish all I have.