The Power of Words

Ronald - Gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: question

The Power of Words

What are words? Are words merely vowels and consonants linked together by idle grey matter, or are words powerful tools intended to impact the world in which they are birthed? I believe the spoken word has an impact that transcends this world. Words are seeds sown into ready soil; those seeds can mature into a tree of life or those seeds can develop into a strangling vine that chokes out all hope and truth. Words are swords that are spoken, that have the power to divide flesh from bone. All words, whether spoken casually or uttered in a time of great passion, set out and achieve what they where intended to accomplish. Idle careless words fly like ill aimed missiles from one battle front to the other and cause immense collateral damage, but the tactful well paced statement can be a surgeon’s scalpel slicing through the mortal body and pierce the soul. I might be giving the tongue too much credit. Words could be indeed just a form of communication developed over centuries that only relay what body language and grunts are not able, or words can be the organization of deep thought and ideas that when spoken, give birth to the vastness of the heavens the depth of the ocean or the arrangement of a flower petal, even the ability to encourage the minds of young people to dream big and change the world. Maybe words are not standing alone, simple, ineffective, and meaningless. Perhaps words are the drawn sword of a soldier standing shoulder to shoulder with others of like mind who know the power of not only his words, but also the power of words from a people standing in one accord against the darkness saying “This I Believe.” For what are we as mere mortals if we do not stand and speak for what we believe? Will someone speak it for us; that is a chance I am not willing to take. So this I believe.