I Beleive in Having the Desire to Succeed

Ryan - Bedford, New Hampshire

I believe in having the ability to succeed. Receiving the highest test grade or winning an event is the best feeling I have ever had. Succeeding in a field in which you truly care about makes the hard work and effort worth the time. Regardless of my age, I feel I have always had the ability to succeed. For one reason or another, there is a driving factor within that wants to achieve high standards, and this ability helps that cause.

I know that I am not the only one with the ability to succeed, yet I feel more attached to this characteristic more than most other traits. I have used this ability on various occasions, and know that succeeding isn’t always guaranteed. When forced with a difficult situation, my best effort isn’t always enough. That is what makes succeeding feel so much better. When you know you may not have what it takes, but you find a way. I need the ability to succeed to get over this roadblock. Failure is never out of the question, and I believe that to be a positive. I know that I have the ability to succeed within myself; it is just waiting to be drawn out. I feel I always have the opportunity to succeed, and that is why I’m seldom afraid to fail. I use this driving factor in all aspects of my life, whether it is athletics, academics, or leisure.

I believe in this perception for the simple reason that you only live life once. I want to live life to the fullest, and giving everything you can is the only way you can. When I am doing a task I care about, I consider it a waste of time to not try my hardest. If you slack, you will never succeed, and you may never achieve desired goals. I don’t always give 100 percent, but when it is a task I care about, I never slack. My sixth grade golf tryout was my first opportunity to play on a team, and I wanted a spot badly. Despite my efforts, I was cut. Not once during the tryout did I doubt myself, because I knew I could make the team. That afternoon taught me never to give up. I know there is no sense in competing if you won’t give full effort, and without that I will never recognize the ability to succeed.

I understand how hard it is to reach goals, but I realize the path and beliefs I will need for success. Goals such as a successful business and a collegiate sport aren’t handed to anyone. With these ambitions I know how important hard work is. These dreams are very difficult tasks to attain, but I will have little hesitation if I push myself to the right level. When I get to this point, I will be able to pull the ability to succeed from inside, and use it as a stepping stone to a successful future.