Can People Change?

Johanne - Gainesville, Florida
Themes: change

Can People Change?

I truly believe that people can change their personality positively. This is a strong and difficult process to go through. My personal experience has shown me that a person can actually change bad qualities for good ones. I have had several and difficult situations throughout my entire life that have made me change because of them. For instance, when I was pregnant, I used to be immature. Then, when I had my baby, I started to actually grow up and act more like a mature person. I considered this case a major change in my life that improved my personality for a better one. Also, I have been through more than ten medical emergency situations with my mom in the past. After all of those unpleasant experiences, I have learned more about my mother and mostly about myself, leading me to be more confident, more religious, and to be more patient than I was before.

Another reason why I belief that people can change is because of one of my grandparents. My grandpa from my mom’s side told me a story when I was younger. The story is the following: “One day I was walking down the bridge; it was raining” he said, and he was an alcoholic as well. My grandpa prayed to God, and he asked for God’s help, so that he could stop drinking alcohol. While he kept crossing the bridge holding the alcohol bottle in his hand, suddenly he dropped the bottle and my grandpa stopped drinking from that day on. This is my indirect experience why I believe people can change for good. It does not matter who the person is or the addictions they might have, anyone can change positively if they have strong faith. People just have to strive for what they want to achieve as goals.

Last, but not least importantly I have experienced my boyfriend’s personal and career success. For instance, my boyfriend used to work for a low-pay rate job at a retail store and now he is a police officer. All of these real life examples demonstrated me that anyone can change if they really want to, from negative to completely positive. Believe this or not, I presented to you how it was exposed to me. I, J.M.P., honestly belief that people can change.