A Typical Day?

Richard - Florissant, Missouri

Its 8am…I’m exhausted, and crabbiness fills the air. Our Spring Break has been cut short by two days because we had to make-up Snow Days. By the way, why do we have to make them up? Right on cue the Kindergarten class enters stage left. We are off to a flying start! I freeze. They come closer. Where is the nearest exit? Shields up, this is not a drill! Am I dreaming? No I am a teacher.

All attempts at humor aside, to me it seems that God, or whatever it is you call Him, Her, or It, speaks in little events like these. Thanks to the Kindergarten I managed to pull myself out of a dreary day and focus on something more important than just me. I focused on their wonder and excitement. In turn it made me realize how lucky I am and in what I believe. Should I be writing this down? Thanks N.P.R.

I believe in hope.

I believe in laughing as much as I can.

I believe in smiling at strangers, and in holding a door open for others.

I believe in saying “please” and “thank you.”

I believe in tipping well.

I believe that something magical happens when I open a book.

I believe in prayer.

I believe in listening to stories.

I believe that life is a giant classroom.

I believe in cherishing the memories of older folks.

I believe that religion can be dangerous, while faith and spirituality can be life giving.

I believe in peace.

I believe that tears can cleanse.

I believe in healing.

I believe that meals were meant to be shared.

I believe that the inventor of Slurpees should be canonized.

I believe in good, but not too expensive wine.

I believe that being Irish “tis a blessing indeed.”

I believe in self-reflection.

I believe that being brave can be very hard.

I believe in tomorrow.

I believe in music.

I believe that gardening is therapy.

I believe in taking care of the earth.

I believe that I am blessed.

I believe that sometimes saying “goodbye” is very hard.

I believe that love is pretty awesome.

I believe that anyone can change.

I believe that challenging the status quo is sometimes needed.

I believe in saying “I am sorry.”

I believe in the democratic process.

I believe in the power of the human spirit.

I believe that chocolate should be its own food group.

I believe in having a favorite movie, a favorite book, and a favorite poem.

I believe that everyone should play in the rain, at least once.

This is quite a list, but N.P.R. only allows me 500 words in this essay. Do these words count also? But I’m finished with my list! Well maybe just one more: You know even though sometimes we have to make them up? I still believe in snow days!