I believe poverty can be eliminated

Chelsea - Xenia,, Ohio

I believe poverty can be eliminated from our society. No person, no matter who he/she may be, deserves to live in poverty. It is our responsibility, as Americans, to take care of each other. We are one nation under God and we should look out for one another. Many of us may never have experienced the terror and sadness and emotional trauma one may go through when living in poverty, others of us may think it is not a big deal. Approximately 35% of Americans are living at or below the poverty line. This does not include those that are $10 above the line. What can we do to help? Sure, soup kitchens and homeless shelters can help those living in poverty; but, is that really going to erase the amount of those living in it? Yes, it will give someone food for a week or a roof over there head for a short amount of time, but that does not lift them from poverty. We have to take some sort of action to get those without jobs, a job. We need to care for the children that go without food for days at a time and wonder where their next meal is going to come from. It seems, to me, that America has turned into an “all-about-self” sort of nation. If we would stop worrying about our own self when we clearly has plenty to eat and not worry of not having a bed to sleep on and worry about those wondering how they will get the medicine that is needed for their illness, then our country would immediately be changed for the better. Can poverty be eliminated over night? Of course not, but our efforts of working together can pull our nation as one to help those in poverty rise to success.