Heaven’s Light

Emily - Hooksett, New Hampshire

• Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

As we turn into my neighborhood, I roll down the car window. The muggy moisture of the air splashes over my face. The thunderstorm has lasted most of the day, and the sky is still a deep, angry gray. It looked as though I wouldn’t go to the pool after all. Suddenly, a piece of the bleak mass parts, and a beautiful ribbon of orange light floods through towards the earth. My eyes widen in amazement, and a “wow” escapes my lips. My stepdad chuckles.

“Yes, it’s beautiful. Photographers call it heaven’s light. When I was younger, I remember waiting for it to appear so that I could take pictures.” I turn back towards the sight, and I spot two more beams join the first. A grin spreads across my face.

“I wish I could be a photographer,” I sigh. My stepdad smiles.

“You learn to appreciate things a lot more when you do, like the sunlight. For some people it’s just light, but you saw something more. Photographers try to see all things like that.” His eyes darken.

“So many people see only the bad in life. You have to be optimistic. Life isn’t worth it if you’re cynical.” I look at the sky thoughtfully. I can see a patch of blue.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

As the day passes on, the clouds slowly drift away and the day brightens. I float peacefully in the pool as I continue to think of the heaven’s light.

I believe in heaven’s light, or the idea that it implies. For me, it represents the hope of happiness after sadness, of good after bad, of love after hate. Through my bitter experiences with my biological father, I learned to how important it is to have hope.

For years, I endured his controlling nature and verbal abuse along with the loneliness of never having a father figure. My life was full of sadness and doubt. I felt lost and alone with no escape. I began to believe that this was going to be my life, no love from dad, no hope for me.

When my mother married my stepdad, I finally found the father I never had. I became the happy, care-free girl I always wanted to be. He gave me encouragement, freedom, and most of all, love.

Like that stormy day in the car, it looked as though the thunder and lightning would never pass, the sunlight would never flicker through, my time for the pool would never come. But it did, and the light was even more beautiful because of the sinister darkness of the storm, and the pool seemed to be an even greater reward. My stepdad taught me to trust in the hope that there is always good to be found in the bad.

I believe in heaven’s light because I know that in every life of every day, through all the darkness and deceit, there will always be light and truth, and there will always be hope in heaven’s light.