Impossible is Nothing

Joey - Englewood, Colorado

Impossible is Nothing

Being the youngest child in my family has been an enormous learning experience. From the time I was in fifth grade, I watched my older sister develop and leap into life. It was as if she was teaching me what not to do, and I learned from her mistakes. After time passed and I started to mature, I realized my sister was taking the wrong path in life. Throughout high school, she was hanging with the wrong crew filled with bad habits. I can remember a time where we were like two peas in a pod, and I looked up to her, but when she dropped out of high school and began to do her own thing, I no longer had anyone to look up to. I honestly didn’t have anybody to provide me with advice about high school and what to expect. I had so many negative thoughts zipping through my head that I wasn’t sure how to complete high school because when I witnessed my sister give up, I thought, wow is it really that tough to complete high school.

As I entered high school, I wasn’t sure what to expect, so I decided to go with the flow. I soon became involved in sports and other group activities. Once I experienced the feeling of leadership, I began to branch out and take every chance I received. My junior year started out to be one of my best years of high school; I was doing extremely well in all my classes, and I was having one of my finest years in baseball. As the year progressed, I began to lose focus and party, but I didn’t realize that my grades were slowly dropping. Weeks went by, and I was having a blast, staying out and partying, enjoying the nights, and forgetting all about my school work. Then one day I visited with my sister, and all a sudden it came to me; I was repeating exactly what my sister had done throughout high school. I was starting to take that exact path of failure, and I was slowly giving up on myself. As a result of my realization, I dropped everything, put my nose back into the books, and got cracking because I had ACT just ahead of me like a deer in the headlights, and there was no dodging that test. A few weeks went by while I was studying hard, and I quit partying and started focusing clearly on my grades and baseball.

As the year was coming to an end and baseball was winding up, I ended up receiving second team all conference, which was huge to me. I also finished my junior year with a 3.5 GPA, so now I like to say impossible is nothing and if I put my mind on something, I am capable of completing anything I want, its all depending on how much determination I have. Now I believe that anyone can accomplish what he or she sets the mind on, as long as he or she has determination.