Response to Eileen Mory

Charlotte - Camby, Indiana

I was appalled by Ms. Mory’s suggestion to reinstitute the draft. This war is not the will of the people! It is a vainglorious gamble by warmongering despots to acheive the laurels of victory despite all objections and cost. This, Ms. Mory, is not about democracy. It is about an administration cloaked in the robes of democracy, concealing a corpus of tyranny and fear in its folds. The last thing we need is for the president to conclude that it is there is a public mandate in favor of the draft.

Why don’t people speak out? Perhaps, like me, they are afraid. Afraid of running afoul of Big Brother and the increasingly invasive purview the last 7-1/2 years have engendered. But do NOT suggest the my son is obligated to pay the price in some misguided notion of shared responsibility.

Ms. Mory, if you feel so guilty about your safe, insulated life, let your sons enlist. Perhaps this will give you the shared sense of pain you are seeking. And if one becomes a victim of this misguided conflict, perhaps you can draw comfort from your martyrdom. But I am a mother first and a patriot second. Leave my son out of it!