Racism and prejudice affects all children

Edna - Roanoke, Virginia

RACISM AND PREJUDICE AFFECTS ALL CHILDREN

Caucasian children, who are being raised in a home or community that view other cultures and races as being not socially acceptable are very likely to carry a superiority complex.

I have observed the behaviour of many pre-schoolers; as they commenced school, the realization of other colours, races, and cultures in their classroom is often a shock. Painfully, they soon encounter experiences that enlightens them to the fact that their concept of being the preferred colour, race or culture is not really so.

This unfamiliarity and non-acceptance of the minority cultures can therefore become a hindrance to an enjoyable pre-school experience for all children.

The “white” child feels degraded and instinctively defends his/her superiority; but in doing so, the “non-white” child becomes hurt by being degraded by the “white” child’s attitude. This is where discrimination is nurtured if teachers do not have the skills and resources needed to make the correction of such concepts in lesson planners and interpersonal communication with students. It is therefore urgent and very necessary for the “white child” to unlearn any measure of superiority, which they may have attached to themselves from an earlier age.

To correct this error at home, parents would need to be educated first so that the child would have the emotional support in the home environment from infancy. The child needs to learn that there are differences in colour, races, and cultures and that the acknowledgement and acceptance of these differences are added credits to the level of their intellect. End.