The Power of a Smile

Brittany - Escondido, California

The Power of a Smile

I believe in the power of a smile. Every time I smile at someone, I realize it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing. I never realized the true, raw power a smile truly bestows until the day I got my braces taken off in the tenth grade. Upon arriving to the orthodontics office that day, I could not possibly imagine what it would be like to have my teeth so perfectly aligned in a straight soldier like row. I could not wait to get the hard metal and bright pink bands stripped off my teeth. Since early childhood, my mouth was like a shark’s. I had multiple rows of teeth and eight pearly whites extracted throughout my seven year dental plan. It was about time I received an award for my dutiful service as a patient at Baker Orthodontics. The anticipation was killing me and I did not know quite what to expect.

When I first looked at myself in the mirror, what I noticed most was surprising. I noticed that I had this huge smile on my face! I was so happy to have my braces off. My tongue was happy, my teeth were happy, and my smile definitely showed that. I was so thrilled to have this permanent smile. My whole being was radiant! My smile was an expression of the way I was feeling and I wanted to share this wonderful feeling with others. Because my smile improved my happiness and confidence, I felt it could also have an effect on others around me. In my mind, I could actually change another’s mood and alter perspectives with one cheerful smile.

I found smiles are contagious and everyone understands a smile. A smile gives hope and a glimmer of sunshine in the darkest of days. If someone looses their smile because of a challenge or disappointment, give them an affectionate, twinkling grin. When someone sees a smile, it makes him or her realize that happiness is achievable, that not everyone in the world is miserable. The world honestly looks brighter from behind a smile.

On one instance, as I was walking to school on a blustery day, I noticed my friend Sarah looking down at her feet and kicking at the pebbles on the sidewalk. As I passed her, she looked up for a brief moment. All I thought to do was sincerely smile and immediately her countenance lit up. Later that day she thanked me for my kindness. I had made her day with one happy expression! The power of a smile is miraculous. A smile is simply a small curve that sets everything straight.

So I will forever smile. I will smile even when I do not want to smile at all because I believe in what a smile can do. Of all the things I wear, my expression is the most important. I truly believe in the extraordinary power of a smile.