I Believe in Finding what is Truly Important

Jackson - St. Simons Island, Georgia
Themes: gratitude

There are many things that come up in daily life that seem unimportant and not worth your time; and, yes, this is quite often the case. Many, maybe even most, things will strike you as being irrelevant to the scheme of the world. An example would be “busy work” in school. Even if you cannot see the purpose to this, it is usually to establish complete fluency in the topic, or, on rare occasion, your teacher is just having a bad day. Though it may seem as though there are countless aspects of daily life that are inconsequential to the future or even the present, there is nearly always a point or a reason for everything.

Just yesterday morning, my mother asked me to clean my room and she wanted it really clean! I was instructed to mop the floors, dust every surface, and make it look perfect because we had guests coming over. Our guests never came anywhere near my room and it seemed as though my hard work had been for absolutely nothing. And yes, it seemed as if my efforts had been wasted on a completely meaningless task if you choose to believe that having a clean room is truly important in the scheme of things. But there is another way to view this situation. The cleanliness of my room will not really affect anything or anyone in the world but it may have deeper effects. These effects may span from the composition of my character or to the way that I see the world and the world sees me. The true significance of working hard and cleaning my room was that it added a little something to my character, to my soul, not that there was less dirt on the floor or dust on the counter.

There are many animals in the world that seem to be useless insignificant creatures and nothing more. I call my dog “Dog” or “Get Out of the Way.” To me, this animal is nothing but annoying, but, to my little sister and to my mother, this dog is their Miss Gracie Benefield whom they love with all their hearts. I believe this dog is just like a task or something else that seems to be completely unimportant. There are many ways to interact with this dog, as there are many ways to confront a task. You may view the dog or the task as simply being worthless and inconsequential, or you may choose to look deeper into its positive and beneficial aspects. I believe that everything has some truly important qualities to it and those who choose to look deep into the many qualities of their daily life will truly reap the benefits.