Honest

Todd - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: integrity

Chocolate Bars

(I believe in being honest) I was waiting for my mom to come pick my sister and me up from school. While we waited I decided to try and throw rocks into a puddle that Tara is standing by on the other side of a chain linked fence. As I grabbed a rock and looked at the fence it looked ten miles high. One of my attempts struck my sister in the temple. Fear came over me from seeing a fountain of blood flow from her head onto her clean white sweatshirt. As we went inside so Tara could get looked at I was being questioned about what had happened.

“Todd, were you throwing rocks?” The principal asked. I responded that I hadn’t, I lied for the first time. As the truth came out my mom told me something that will never leave my mind: “Todd, you really disappointed a lot of people. They thought you were a good honest boy, now they will always doubt if you’re telling the truth.” After I heard this it felt like an elephant had just stomped on my chest.

A few years later while I was in the 6th grade I was walking home. There it was, just a few feet in front of me. It was mixed in with the dirt and weeds. As I picked it up, it was what I thought it was money. I knew it was money, but I didn’t know that it was that much money. This must be my lucky day, I thought. I had never had a twenty dollar bill before. As I continued to walk home, thoughts raced through my head. I could imagine playing with brand new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I couldn’t help but to be excited as I reached the house. I showed my mom, who then told me that the money didn’t belong to me and that I needed to go and give it to the principal. I was disappointed as my dreams of new toys had been shattered. I grudgingly returned it the principal and told him where I had found it. “Well thank you Todd, we’ll try and find out whose it is. If nobody claims it in twenty days, it will be yours.” My teacher had found out and was proud of me. I was rewarded with a king size Dove chocolate bar. As I was eating the chocolate I realized I had done a good job and a sense of accomplishment came over me.

As I think of these two experiences and remember the contrast between the two, I realize that I want to eat more chocolate bars.