Laughter is the Best Medicine

Amber - Aberdeen, Idaho

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I love to laugh. My mom says that I came into this world screaming and never stopped, but I disagree. I laugh at everything, even if it isn’t that funny. Sometimes I laugh to fight back tears, and sometimes I laugh just to keep from hurting someone’s feelings. The moment I start laughing, no matter the situation, I feel myself becoming happier with every second.

I suppose one of the biggest reasons for this belief is the fact that in my family laughter is a key part of every day. My mom laughs a lot. She thinks some of the stupidest things are funny, but that’s okay because it has taught me that laughing is the way to go. Having twelve children my mom gets a lot of crap, but she is always smiling and laughing. Every trial and decision she makes is borne with laughter. Every time my siblings and I argue my mom listens to us and then she laughs. We stop for a moment and look at her; then she tells us how ridiculous we sound and that what we are arguing about is totally pointless. We look at each other and try not to smile because we know she is right, but are too prideful to admit it.

The greatest thing about laughter is how it can pull me out of a world of sorrow. When something happens to me that makes me sad, or angry, my friends or family will make a joke or do something funny, and I will laugh dragging myself out of my melancholy state. There are also days when I am really stressed out and nothing seems to be going right. It is usually right before a biology test; the one subject that I really don’t understand. I will just stop and think about that test and how it isn’t nearly as big of a deal as I make it seem.

One night, I had a bloody nose. It was really bad and lasted for about an hour. My parents weren’t home so the only more authoritative person there was my older sister, and we don’t get along very well most of the time. I was afraid that she would make me more upset but despite our differences, she got on the Internet and looked up some things I could do to make it stop. After a while, we discovered that it was probably because my stress level was too high, and that I needed to calm down. In order to do that, my sister said some funny things and I was able to laugh and calm down quite a bit. I don’t know if it would have stopped if I hadn’t found a way to calm down.

Looking back on times like that, I can see for myself that ‘Laughter is the Best Medicine’ is more than just a saying. It really is good medicine.