If They Can Do It, So Can I

Alondra - Phoenix, AZ 85009

I believe we all have the strength to achieve whatever we want in life. No matter what disabilities or issues we might have, we can accomplish whatever we desire. I found the strength in myself a while back.

Last year I suffered from an illness I’d rather not mention, that kept me isolated from school and my friends. I stopped going out and doing all the activities I used to do. My mother was devastated because she could not do anything about my illness. I would spend my days crying because I was so desperate to have the life I used to have. I felt like a failure because I missed a lot of school and I could not do anything about it. I was not living my life the way I was supposed to. My friends would keep in touch and visit once in a while. I would feel jealousy towards them because they were living the life I was supposed to be living with no worries or obstacles.

One day I got tired of sitting there and not trying. I was too young to give up the life that I still needed to live. I decided to go to school and try to get through it all. I was not in the best condition to attend school, but I just could not stand staying home one more day and watching my life fall apart. My mom supported me, but warned me that it would not be easy. I knew what I was getting into, but it was worth it.

My first days were hell. I could not focus and my classes would seem to last an eternity but I did not give up. I was behind and I was having a hard time understanding what was going on. Luckily, my friends helped me out and I got all of my work done. If I did not have the friends I have, I would not have succeeded. Dropping from the top of the class rankings was devastating. I wanted to be at the top again no matter what I had to do. All the work I turned in gave me the grades I wanted. I managed to get back to the top 5% of my class.

It was not easy going back to the life I had, but my willingness to get up again and the people around me helped me get through it.